Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mac & Cheese for Grown-ups

I'm delighted to introduce another guest contributor to Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Richard, an extraordinary chef, has graciously shared his recipe for Grown-Up Macaroni and Cheese. This recipe contribution came about because I'd confessed my secret love for Kraft Macaroni and Cheese in the blue box. Being a true friend, Richard tried to rescue me from powdered orange cheese.

While I'll always harbor a fondness for Kraft, I'm intrigued by this recipe, especially the dessert variation!

A very big "Thank you!" to Richard!



White Cheese and Pasta by Richard
(or Mac & Cheese for Grownups)

Basic Ingredients

1 8oz brick cream cheese - this is your base cheese
1 cup total volume of any single or combination of the following; Monterrey Jack Cheese, Asiago, Goat, Gruyere - almost any semi firm white will work.
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella
1/4 cup Parmesan and/or Romano
4Tbs REAL butter
1 cup heavy cream - sub lighter milks if you insist
1 tsp dried or 3 tsp fresh herbs to start - adjust to taste
Garlic to taste
Salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1/2 lb uncooked pasta ( that would be 8 oz for the mathematically challenged cook... :-)smile


Options

Tuna


 Cooked sausages - Italian, sweet, hot or combined is my favorite but Chorizo, Kielbasa, even Breakfast Sausage works.

 1 - 2 cups fresh chopped veggies - I use tomato most of the time but broccoli florets, green chili's, peas, shredded carrots etc. can be used alone or combined with the appropriate meats.

My most requested dish goes like this;
Prep all cheeses and let them come to room temp


 I use a combination of 1/2 lb each sweet and hot Italian sausage with the casings removed. Cook this first.

 While elbow or small shell pasta cooks I combine cream cheese, Jack and 1/2 cup of heavy cream in a small sauce pan. If I MUST use an electric stove, I use a double boiler. Since I have a gas stove at home, I heat the cheese on medium low heat, stirring frequently. You want this to end up being the consistency of a fondue. Add cream or milk as needed and keep it hot and liquid until pasta is done.

I microwave the butter with about 2 crushed and chopped cloves of fresh garlic and 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper until it is completely melted.

 When the pasta is about 3 or 4 minutes to done add 1 tsp dried Italian spice seasoning to the cheese sauce.

 When the pasta is done, drain it well but don't rinse unless you are using boiling water. Return hot pasta to the pot and place back on the burner. Immediately stir in the hot butter. When pasta is well combined with the butter, stir in the cooked sausage followed by the cheese sauce. When all that is mixed well i add the grated Parmesan and Romano.

I take the pan off the heat and let it cool just enough to let the cheese sauce thicken and add fresh chopped tomato and for a nice finish I add 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil and 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley.

That is the basic order things get added.

This process adapts well to completely different regional types of cooking. Make it a Southwestern dish with asiago cheese, green chili's, shredded pork and finished with fresh chopped cilantro.

Tuna and canned peas with shredded carrots is a nice Midwestern choice.

 I've added crab, shrimp and even lobster with fresh chopped chives and lemon grass for a coastal variation.

 Kielbasa with broccoli florets and raw sliced red bell pepper for my Northern friends.

 Heat it up with some cayenne in the butter if you like a little mystery punch to any of these.

 If you want to get real adventurous, (and I have) make it with the creme cheese and some sweet dessert cheese and add apples with browned walnuts. Refrigerate it until completely cooled. Serve it up topped with whipped cream, drizzled chocolate and add fresh fruit like strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment