Sunday, September 9, 2012

Food Storage Friday - How Ready are You?

First, I'm asking for your forgiveness and understanding for my delay in posting this. Thank you!

September is National Preparedness Month. It's a government sponsored awareness campaign to help us understand what we should be doing to get ready in case there is a disaster on a personal, local or national level.

Here's the link to the FEMA website in case you're interested.

FEMA Ready.gov

Even better than the government website is one run by two women who are experts in the field of emergency preparedness. "Food Storage Made Easy" is the brilliant brain child of Jodi and Julie. They began the site as a way to document their journey into food storage. It's one of my favorite resources.

Food Storage Made Easy

This month, Jodi and Julie are running what they call the Seven Day Challenge where they use mock disaster scenarios to help us evaluate how ready we really are. On surprise days in September, they email a "particular emergency situation with tasks and limitations associated with it."  Our test is to survive the scenario under the conditions and limitations specified in that day's challenge.

It's a very good way to see how ready you really are and where there are any holes in the plans and preparations you may have already made.

Seven Day Challenge

Even though it's already well into September, I haven't seen that that the challenge has begun yet, so there is time for you to join in!  All you need to do is provide Jodi and Julie with your email address and you're good to go.

I'm all signed up. I can tell you all right now that I'm probably going to fail each and every challenge because I do not have any water stored up. None. Nor do I have a way to get water in the event of a power failure. Our home has a well that's run by an electric pump. If the power goes out, we have no water.  Even as I'm typing this, I'm getting a little uneasy at the thought.  I could buy some water and store some in barrels, but I've got three horses...they need a lot of water. Hmmmm.....(can you smell the smoke and hear the gears and wheels in my brain as they grind away?)

No comments:

Post a Comment