Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Hoop-de-do: Hoop House Ver. 1.1

I was right...the hoops were "floppy". Part of the problem is that the hoops are too tall. A contributing factor is that they're made from 1/2" PVC, which is fairly thin and flexible.
 
Without modifications, this whole thing will topple over.

So, I trimmed one foot from the length of the hoops. It might take another foot to do the trick.

Speaking of doing the trick, I've abandoned the hacksaw for cutting PVC in favor if this handy-dandy gadget. This is the best thing since sliced bread! It ratchets down and cuts the PVC cleanly with no ragged edges. Sweet! It cost about $12 at the local big box store.

Have I mentioned that I'm really liking working with PVC?

The next 'improvement' was end supports. This is 3/4" PVC attached with pipe straps to the short end of the bed. Notice the wicked curve in the board.  I wasn't really picky when I chose boards for these beds. Maybe I should be more careful next time?

 
Until I know what the final height of the hoops will be, I've left the end support long. It's attached with a zip tie temporarily, but I'll use a 90 degree elbow PVC fitting eventually.
 
 
I'm also beginning to wonder if metal conduit would be a better choice for the hoops? More expensive, but probably more durable. 



No comments:

Post a Comment