Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Two Tons

It's getting very hard to find quality hay. The drought has caused prices to skyrocket, too. I'm seeing a lot of people selling crappy hay at jaw-dropping prices. 

Our horses get straight Timothy grass hay. It's more expensive than some other varieties, but they like it and seem to be doing very well on it. Over the course of a year, they will eat a total of ten tons of hay. 

In late August, I had five tons of the small, 50-pound bales of hay brought in and stacked in the barn.

That's 200 bales and it filled my hay room. 

Today, I had another two tons brought in. This time, I went with the 1,000 pound bales. They're on pallets and will be covered with tarps for protection from weather and the deer.


The supplier gets these big bales in by the semi-truck load from Alberta, Canada. It's very nice hay and very popular with local horse owners. Customers are limited to four bales per shipment so that everyone gets at least some of the hay they need. I'm on the list for another four bales when the next shipment comes in. 



No comments:

Post a Comment