Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Hoop House Survived the Wind Storm

Yesterday, we experienced howling winds of 40-50 mph and the hoop house didn't blow away. I did learn to keep it closed up when the wind is blowing hard, though. I'd opened the south side (the long side) to let in some light and air. But that allowed the wind to push out on the opposite side, which popped the binder clips off the hoops, so then the plastic was blowing loose in the wind.

Luckily, I caught it before the plastic was completely loose. Good to experience winds like this while it's still mild. Had this happened in the dead of winter, I'd have lost the plants to the cold.

So, as long as it's closed up and the sides are anchored down, it does well in the wind.

Even when it's closed, there's quite a bit of light getting through to the plants. I'm guessing maybe 80% ? And it's much warmer in there, too. This crappy photo was taken by poking the camera through the plastic at one one end so I could try to show how bright it is inside.



The crops are doing well. Nighttime temperatures have gone as low as 21 degrees but these tender little seedlings haven't been frost bitten.

The lettuce (below)...

 ...and the spinach (below) are doing the best.

 I planted more of all four things about a week ago. I'm curious to see how long they take to sprout now that it's colder and the days are shorter.





No comments:

Post a Comment