Friday, August 17, 2012

Food Storage Friday -Intro to Canning

Last April, we had a disaster. Our big upright freezer had a malfunction while we were away. We came home to a freezer full of mostly-thawed meats. Ugh!

Luckily, I had the equipment and knowledge to safely can meat. For three days, I cooked and canned almost everything that was in the freezer. To be on the safe side, I threw out the seafood. But was able to save all of the beef and chicken.


I even saved all of the scraps and fat trimmings and canned them as pet food.


If you can meat or other low-acid foods like most vegetables, use the pressure canning method only.  Water bath canning is only appropriate for acidic food like tomatoes and most fruits.  Don't listen to anyone who tells you differently.  You risk making yourself sick by using another method for canning meat.

Next week, I'll post some information on water bath canning. Depending on what I can find at the store, I'll walk you through making some kind of jam then water bath canning it.

No comments:

Post a Comment