Friday, August 24, 2012

Food Storage Friday - FoodSaver

This is a FoodSaver vacuum sealer. You need one of these!


I hope this post doesn't sound like some bad TV infomercial!

I bought the FoodSaver when I decided to get serious about storing up some extra food in case of an emergency.  Since the machine vacuums all the air out of the bag, the food doesn't get freezer burn.  Everything lasts about twice as long in the freezer than when I was using ziplock bags.

When I find a sale on meat, I can buy extra and stockpile it.

I also save money by buying meat that the supermarket has marked down because it's near the "use by" date.

This is what I picked up at the store yesterday. All of the "use by" dates were for either the next day or the day after that. Nothing was expired. The discount was about 30% off full price.



I cut that huge pork loin into 3 3-lb roasts, then packaged it all up in the FoodSaver bags.

 
 FoodSaver has all sorts of neat canisters and bags for their system. I got some FreshSteam bags that I'm going to try out next time I freeze some vegetables. The bags can go right into the microwave to steam your veggies.
 
Although I've not tried it, you can use the FoodSaver bags to seal up non-food items, too. It'll keep things like matches and toilet paper dry for your next camping trip.
 
 
 
 
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment