Sunday, December 9, 2012

Salad Days

On December 5, 2012, I picked fresh lettuce and spinach from my garden. After two snow storms, a number of wind storms and temperatures in the single digits, my little garden is still hanging in there. 

Here's what the spinach was looking like. You can see the second crop on the left.


And here is the lettuce, also with the second crop on the left.


I picked just enough for one nice, big salad and left the rest for another day.



When I planted this garden in the fall, my goal was to pick a fresh salad on Christmas day. Wonder if that'll happen? 

Oh, remember those vertical supports I added inside the hoop house to add strength and stability?

They seem to be working. We got half a foot of snow last night and the hoops didn't start to collapse under the weight.  I was so happy when I got up this morning and saw that it held up.


Remember back in October what it looked like after the first big snow of the season?


Much, much better with the supports inside!


Now that the days are less than 10 hours long, plants stop growing. It won't be until February before there will be enough daylight for my garden to do much of anything at all.

However, I'm thrilled that I'm eating salad from my garden in December! Come Christmas, I'll let you know if salad is on the menu!







2 comments:

  1. Renee,
    You are awesome! Love your blog. Tell Greg his gun article was wonderful. -NM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee, I'm amazed that you are so successful at first attempt to establish a working hoop house, and for figuring out how to solve the problems you encountered. I am sure you WILL be able to pick salad greens for Christmas dinner.-- Mom

      Delete