Monday, July 14, 2014

Living with Pigs - Update on Month #2!

Living with Pigs!

My friend and fellow homesteader Barb is back with an update on the two pigs she and her husband are raising. 

I've got to admit that I'm jealous, since I'd love to raise pigs but don't have the set up to do so!

And while you're reading, take a closer look at the water system they're using. Ingenious!

Without further ado, here's Barb with her update:



We have had our cute little pigs for over 1 month now and I must say they are not cute little pigs anymore.  I cannot believe how much they have grown in the last month.  It is a good thing humans don’t grow like that.

We have named them Priscilla and Hamlet even though I know we will be sending them to slaughter.
Hamlet is much bigger than Priscilla as he tries to hog all the food, no pun intended. They love the mud puddle I have created in their pen.  



I am still putting sunscreen on their ears only now, I have realized that pigs do like to sleep late like teenagers.  I go down every morning at 5AM and they are sleeping and don’t care that I am slobbering sunscreen on their ears.

I asked my husband one night if he knew if pigs swam as I was nervous about letting them out of their pen because of our pond.  He said he didn’t know but then a friend sent me a video of a pig saving a goat in the water.  Priscilla and Hamlet had their first outing on Sunday to our pond; oh they loved the mud in the pond.  


Oh what fun they had they looked like little statues with mud all over them

We rearranged their stall so they would have more room; we moved their water tank to the side so they can get in and out of their door to the outside easier since they are getting so big.  

We bought them a bigger feeder since they kept emptying their smaller one.  


Now at work I don’t have to worry if they run out of food.  They like to knock over their outside water buckets but I don’t have to worry about them not having anything to drink as they have their 55 gallon drum inside with their nipple on it.

All in all they are fun to have they grunt as soon as they hear me coming down at night and  they start squealing like crazy as they know I have people food for them .  I never knew that pigs squeal like that out of excitement.  People at work bring me their scraps too, to feed the pigs.

Their pen is right next to my garden. They love talking to me while I am weeding the garden as they know they are going to be thrown all the weeds.

Well that is living with pigs month 2.

I will update next month on their progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment