Thursday, August 22, 2013

Does a Bear Crap in the Woods?

Not always!

While I was feeding the horses in the morning, I noticed a bunch of crows (the collective noun for crows is a "murder". A murder of crows.) in our east pasture. They were fighting over something on the ground. 

I walked over to see what it was. It was this:

What's left of the leg of a deer. 

Then I saw this:
That's bear scat.
It's possible the two things are unrelated. Or maybe the bear found a road kill deer or one that died of natural causes. 

No matter how it happened, this is very close to my barn and corral. I took this picture below while standing at the corner of my barn. The red arrow points to where the bones and bear scat are located. 

You can't get a real sense of scale from the photo, but I'd say it was less than 50 yards from where I was standing to where the bones are. 

Makes me nervous for my horses, who live by the barn and spend a lot of time in that pasture! Where is this bear getting through my pasture fence, anyway? Or is it going over? Does electric fence deter bear? If it does, I should run some hot rope around my pastures...  



1 comment:

  1. I only know of horses around here being attacked by Mt Lions. Bear are around my place, one was in the front yd when Smudge was alive and she was barking at him as he was starting towards her, I ran him off. My horses have co existed with them for 6 yrs either he has not bothered them or they are faster than he is!

    ReplyDelete