Sunday, March 23, 2014

Chicks (with Sticks)!

Part 1: Chicks

First, an update on Operation Chicken Little.  It's an outstanding success!  

The babies are very active and wanting to explore everything. 



This afternoon, G.W. and I were in the coop refilling the feed hoppers. I needed the help because I threw my S1 joint out and I'm more or less an invalid right now. G.W. is an effective, but stern nurse!

Any-who, Momma Hen was pacing inside the isolation pen and acting very agitated. I thought maybe it was time to let her and the babies out to mingle with the flock. Since most of the flock was outside free-ranging, it was a good opportunity to see what Momma would do.

I opened up the little pen and Momma came right out. Alone. The babies stayed in.  Momma stretched her legs, scratched around a bit, pooped, then went back into the pen with her babies.  Interesting. All she seemed to want was a minute or two to herself. <All the human Moms are nodding in agreement right now>

One of the babies climbed up on their water jar to see where Momma went.

 "All I want is some time away from those kids!"


I have another eight chicks on order for the first week in May.  Say a prayer that I have another broody hen who is ready, willing and able to foster them!  






Part 2: Chick with sticks


During the winter, I switch from my outdoor hobbies like gardening to indoor hobbies. I call them "chair hobbies" since they're things I do while sitting in a chair. (Usually while watching a movie) This winter I decided to learn how to knit. 

I've been a crocheter since I was about 10 or 12 years old. I taught myself using a book from the 1940's that I inherited from my Great Aunt Margaret. But knitting always intimidated me a little. I think it was the idea of using two knitting needles. Some years ago, I learned how to do the basic knit and purl stitches but never took it any further.

This book, Fearless Knitting Workbook by Jennifer E. Seiffert, has been my guide.  It's a wonderful tutorial where you make 8" x 8" practice squares with each lesson. 




Within just a few weeks I'd completed these squares while learning to increase, decrease, read patterns and charts and use various cable techniques. I think I'm going to piece some of the squares together for pillow covers.



There are many other lessons in the Fearless Knitting Workbook that I haven't done yet. The ones on lace knitting look interesting!



Next up was a scarf for G.W. in the colors of his favorite football team, the Denver Broncos. It was just a simple ribbed pattern but gave me tons of practice with knit and purl stitches.


Piper likes to help me knit. She says, "If I only had disposable thumbs, I'd knit, too".  I think she means "opposable" thumbs! But that doesn't stop her from playing hard with the yarn and knitting needles.




This is my first project knitting in the round. It's a stocking cap for G.W. made with Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool yarn. 


I found the pattern for it on a blog called Hats for Israeli Soldiers. It's the pattern people use to make and donate wool caps for soldiers in the IDF (Israel Defense Forces).

The pattern is available in both English and Hebrew.  Neat, huh?

G.W. teases me now with the nickname "Knit Wit".  That came about because he asked me a question while I was counting knitting stitches and I answered him with louder counting.  If you knit/crochet, you will understand that completely!

Now I'm trying a new knitting technique called Magic Loop. Come back next week for details on what it is, why people use it and how I'm coming along with learning it. (Hint: right now, it's not pretty. Not pretty at all!)




Also next week, using the "deep litter method" in the chicken coop. 










2 comments:

  1. Love the updates, you’re an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you like my book and find it helpful! Your cables are beautiful!
    --Jennifer Seiffert

    ReplyDelete