Sunday, March 17, 2013

Spring Planting Begins

Last weekend, just ahead of our third blizzard of the season, I planted the first of the spring crops.  The weather the day before the storm was sunny with 50 degree temperatures. It was hard to convince myself that it was going to snow within 24 hours. 

I had run to the grocery store to pick up coffee cream and the pre-blizzard panic buying was in full swing. Kinda makes me wonder 1) do these people have completely bare cupboards at home that a bit of snow scares them into thinking they'll starve to death before they can get out again and 2) exactly how long do people think they're going to be stuck in their homes?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....until I build a hoop house (HH) over more garden beds, I'm still working in the one that's been trucking along all winter. 


I'm using the Square Foot Gardening method, so I can pack a lot into very small spaces. 

This round included:



French Breakfast Radishes? Do the French really eat radishes for breakfast?


According to the seed packages, I should have the makings for a nice salad in about 30 days!

True to the weather forecast, the next morning it started snowing.


It must have been a hard, snowy winter since I'm not snapping dozens of photos of every storm anymore. The captions and titles get monotonous...Here's the snow on February 4th. Here's the blizzard on February 17th. Here's the snow on February 21st. Here's the blizzard on March 7th. Sheesh! Boring!


Spring officially arrives this Wednesday and Crossed Sabers Ranch is very much ready for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment